Man participated in expressway shooting while wearing an ankle monitor for a gun case: prosecutors

Marquis Parker (Illinois State Police)

CHICAGO — A second man has been charged in connection with a 2022 expressway shooting near Chinatown. Like the first man charged, he was on pretrial release at the time of the crime. In fact, prosecutors say he was on electronic monitoring.

Judge William Fahy detained Marquis Parker, 29, of Chicago, to await trial on a charge of aggravated battery by firearm. He is the 63rd person accused of shooting, killing, or trying to shoot or kill someone in Chicago in 2022 while on felony pretrial release. The crimes involved at least 107 victims, 29 of whom died.

The shooting occurred on the inbound Dan Ryan Expressway near Archer Avenue on April 29, 2022, according to an Illinois State Police statement. Troopers responding to the scene found a crashed Jeep and a man inside with gunshot wounds to his neck, shoulder, and leg, according to court filings. The Jeep was one of several vehicles at the scene involved in the collision. 

In a detention petition for Parker, prosecutors said children were in the back seat of the victim’s car.

Witnesses told troopers that the shooters fled from a wrecked 2017 Mercedes that was still at the scene. Inside the Mercedes, investigators allegedly found a phone belonging to 28-year-old Byron Moore, who was charged with the shooting last month.

Now, ISP says it has identified Parker as another gunman “after an extensive, nearly two-year long investigation.”

Parker was wearing an ankle monitor at the time for two cases, both involving firearms. He eventually pleaded guilty in one case, receiving a four-year sentence for aggravated fleeing and being a felon in possession of a firearm. According to court records, prosecutors dropped the other gun case as part of the plea deal.

The “not horrible” series

This report continues our coverage of individuals accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill or shoot others awaiting trial for a felony allegation. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “We haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.

The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people awaiting trial for felony allegations is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has brought charges in less than 5% of non-fatal shootings and 33% of murders, according to the city’s data.

Previous reporting

2024 “not horrible” cases

2023 “not horrible” cases

2022 “not horrible” cases

2021 “not horrible” cases

2020 “not horrible” cases

2019 “not horrible” cases

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com