Man kidnapped and robbed 3 Chicago men he met on Grindr, prosecutors say

Antoine Perteet (Cook County sheriff’s office)

CHICAGO — A Waukegan man who allegedly used the Grindr gay dating app to lure victims into armed robbery ambushes in Rogers Park and Cicero is now charged with committing three similar crimes in Chicago.

Prosecutors say Antoine Perteet, 33, kidnapped and robbed his victims, forcing them to withdraw money at banks.

In one of the newly filed cases, Perteet is accused of luring a 34-year-old man to the 1600 block of South Springfield on June 22, 2023, via Grindr. Perteet robbed the man, then forced him to go to his home and then to a Bank of America in the 2300 block of South Michigan to get money, according to a Chicago police report.

The report said Perteet then forced the man to go to Walgreens, 501 West Roosevelt, to get more money. He allegedly left the man standing on the sidewalk at Walgreens and drove away with his car.

Two days later, Perteet met a 51-year-old man in the 800 block of North Kedzie. The pair traveled to the 2100 block of South Millard, where Perteet robbed the victim at gunpoint, according to the police report.

On July 12, a 30-year-old man met Perteet in the 1800 block of South Springfield, officials say. Perteet forced him to go to PNC Bank, 3340 West Roosevelt, to get cash, the police report stated.

Prosecutors charged Perteet with three counts of armed robbery with a firearm, three counts of kidnapping with a firearm, and aggravated vehicular hijacking with a firearm. While Perteet was already being held in jail on the already-pending charges, Judge Maryam Ahamad ordered him to stay there on the new allegations.

At least 15 other men reported that they had been robbed near the 1800 and 1900 blocks of South Springfield last spring by someone they met on Grindr. Most of those victims were directed to abandoned homes, where they were robbed. Some were tied up by a gunman who forced them to surrender their phone and banking information, according to CPD reports. Perteet is only charged with two of those crimes.

Previous cases

Prosecutors first charged Perteet in December with participating in a home invasion and robbery in Cicero, a crime that began as a Grindr hook-up.

On the day of the home invasion, October 8, the victim was walking his dog in front of his Cicero home when Perteet and another person arrived in Perteet’s car, prosecutors said.

Perteet allegedly raised his shirt to expose a handgun and led the victim inside. Prosecutors said he forced the man to lie face down in the bedroom as the second person entered the apartment. The pair forced the victim to unlock his phone and bank accounts.

As the men went through the phone, Perteet allegedly put his foot on the man’s face and told him not to look up.

He and the accomplice restrained the victim’s legs and arms with belts, placed painter’s tape on his eyes, and stuffed a towel in his mouth, prosecutors alleged. Both men allegedly went through the victim’s home searching for valuables, eventually leaving with a container of coins, about $50 cash, the victim’s phone, a smartwatch, and his keys.

The victim eventually freed himself and called 911. Cicero police found surveillance video showing what happened outside the man’s home. According to prosecutors, a license plate reader put Perteet’s car in the area at the time of the home invasion, as did Perteet’s phone data. However, the victim was unable to identify Perteet in a photo line-up.

Rosemont police pulled Perteet over the next day. During a search of his car, the cops allegedly found a black face mask and gray hoodie similar to those worn by one of the home invaders. They also found ammunition and a stolen 9-millimeter handgun, but they released him without charges, according to prosecutors.

A specialized police unit arrested Perteet at a suburban Christian school where he worked.

In January, prosecutors charged Perteet with committing a similar crime in Rogers Park. Incredibly, court records say the Rogers Park victim identified Perteet as his assailant in early July 2023. But prosecutors did not charge Perteet with the crime until this year. Prosecutors have subsequently charged a second man with participating in the Rogers Park robbery.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 4275 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com