Expressway shooter is on parole for 2 gun cases, prosecutors say

Steven C. Moore (Illinois State Police, Google)

CHICAGO — A man on parole for two gun cases faces three counts of attempted murder after he allegedly opened fire on another car during a road rage altercation near the Loop on Friday morning. Prosecutors say young children were in Steven Moore’s car and the victims’ car at the time of the shooting.

The shooting occurred on the inbound ramp that connects the Dan Ryan and Eisenhower expressways around 11:10 a.m.

Moore, 30, became angry with the other driver and fired shots at their vehicle three separate times, prosecutors said in a detention petition. No injuries were reported, but the victims’ car was struck “several” times, according to the Illinois State Police. Moore allegedly drove away from the scene.

Troopers found shell casings and 9-millimeter projectiles at the shooting scene, according to the petition. Investigators identified Moore’s car and executed a search warrant at his home, allegedly recovering a loaded 9-millimeter handgun from the residence.

Prosecutors said Moore had an adult and the adult’s 4-month-old baby in his vehicle at the time of the incident. A 2-year-old boy riding in the other car is listed as one of three victims.

Moore faces three charges of attempted first-degree murder. Judge William Fahy granted the state’s detention petition.

Court records show Moore was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after Chicago police allegedly found a firearm in his car in January 2022. While he was on bail for that case, he was again arrested and charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon after Chicago police found another gun in his possession during a traffic stop in May 2023, according to court records.

He resolved both cases by pleading guilty to two counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in a vehicle with a previous conviction on December 18, court records show.

Judge Peggy Chiampas sentenced him to three years on each count, to be served concurrently. After receiving the state’s standard 50% sentence reduction and credit for time spent in custody before pleading, he was not required to serve any prison time.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com