Man flagged down Chicago cops to tell them he had a gun — just 47 hours after being arrested with another gun: prosecutors

Christopher Woods is seen in mugshots from April 12 and April 14. (Chicago Police Department)

CHICAGO — A Chicago man has been detained as a public safety threat after he flagged down Chicago police officers to tell them he had a gun less than 24 hours after a judge released him for allegedly possessing another firearm.

Around 1:45 p.m. on April 12, Chicago police responded to calls of a man with a gun provoking people on the street near 130th and Indiana on the Far South Side. They saw Christopher Woods in the area and thought he matched the suspect’s description, according to a report they filed later.

As the officers stepped out of their squad car to speak with Woods, one of them noticed he was holding a gun inside his right jacket pocket, the report said. The other officer saw the grip of a firearm.

Woods, 45, complied with the officers’ commands and they recovered the loaded pistol from his pocket, according to the report.

The officers’ report said he “was going to turn the firearm in.”

Prosecutors charged Woods with Class X armed habitual criminal because he has been convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm twice before. However, they did not ask Judge Charles Beach to detain Woods during his court appearance on April 13, so the judge sent him home.

Less than 24 hours later, around 12:45 p.m. on April 14, Woods flagged down a CPD tactical unit near 116th and Michigan.

He told the officers that “he wanted to turn a gun in as well as turn himself in,” the officers wrote in their report, adding that Woods told them he had a gun in his jacket pocket.

The officers recovered a loaded revolver and a box containing 48 rounds of ammunition from his jacket, the report said.

Prosecutors filed another Class X armed habitual criminal case against him and added an additional charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Unlike the first time, prosecutors decided to file a detention petition when Woods appeared in court the next day.

Judge David Kelly granted their request.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com