Chicago man who carjacked a Lyft driver at gunpoint has 7 cases pending in juvenile court, officials say

Otavion Miller (Chicago Police Department)

CHICAGO — Officials say an 18-year-old Chicago man carjacked a Lyft driver at gunpoint while awaiting trial for seven different cases in juvenile court. Judge Antara Rivera noted that some of those cases are for violent crimes as she ordered Otavion Miller detained as a public safety risk.

The Lyft driver, a 45-year-old man from Palatine, was in the 5200 block of South Green when Miller pointed a gun at him and ordered him out of his car early on May 16, prosecutors said. Chicago police officers were told to look for three Black men wearing face masks in a white Kia Forte, and they quickly spotted a vehicle matching the description, a CPD report said.

According to the report, a police helicopter unit located the Kia, monitored it from above, and communicated its movements via radio to ground units. The chopper crew was watching as Miller left the vehicle in gear and bailed out in an alley, the report said. Officers arrested him nearby.

According to CPD, the cops found an unloaded pistol in the alley where Miller bailed out. It was allegedly equipped with an illegal after-market switch that could make it fire automatically, like a machine gun.

Officers also found a black ski mask, the victim’s credit card, and the victim’s wallet in front of the house next door to where Miller began running, the report said. The Lyft driver arrived at the scene and identified him as the person who pointed a gun at him and took his car.

Miller is charged with aggravated vehicular hijacking and armed robbery with a firearm.

Chief Judge Timothy Evans announced this week that he is unveiling a new program for juveniles accused of crimes. Under the new plan, fewer than 50 minors could be held at the juvenile detention center. Others, who usually would have been kept at the center, will now be held in “semi-secure, community-based facilities,” Injustice Watch reported.

About CWBChicago 6796 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com