Police seek video, pictures from street ‘takeover’ that ended with murder

Guillermo Caballero and a city surveillance camera frame of the takeover. Caballero’s car is seen trying to pass through the crowd on the right moments before he is killed. (GoFundMe, Chicago Police Department)

Chicago police detectives are trying to round up videos that people may have recorded during a “street takeover” that ended with the murder of a 20-year-old man early Sunday morning.

Investigators believe Guillermo Caballero became “caught in the midst” of the takeover while driving at 59th and Western around 3:17 a.m. But he was not participating in the event, which involved cars and people blocking the intersection as other drivers spun donuts in the street.

Caballero drove into the ring of cars and onlookers gathered for the takeover and was trying to exit the intersection when two people opened fire on him at close range, according to CPD and social media videos. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and died at the scene. A GoFundMe campaign to support Caballero’s family had raised $1,220 as of Tuesday evening.

The Caballeros were “days away” from moving to the south suburbs to escape the city’s violence, the Sun-Times reported Tuesday afternoon. They had already moved once within the city to get away from problems in their old neighborhood, the paper said.

On Tuesday afternoon, Area One detectives pleaded for information about the case. They’re interested in reviewing videos and photographs of the takeover, even if the images don’t include the shooting or any other information people may have. Detective Steven Reitz is investigating the murder. He can be contacted at steven.reitz@chicagopolice.org or 312-747-8380. The case number is JH-250869.

A social media video montage posted by @ChicagoCritter showed a man climbing onto the hood of Caballero’s car at the intersection. Caballero moved through the crowd, apparently hitting some people. One man fired shots directly at Caballero through his car’s windshield at close range. Here is the video. Please note that the clips are not compiled in sequence, and the content is disturbing.

Takeovers, also called “sideshows,” are ongoing issues for the city. They involve groups of people blocking off intersections so drivers can spin donuts and do burnouts in the intersection. Officers responding to the shooting scene last night said they saw 20 or 30 cars speeding away from the intersection as they arrived.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About Tim Hecke 300 Articles
Tim Hecke is CWBChicago's managing partner. He started his career at KMOX, the legendary news radio station in St. Louis. From there, he moved on to work at stations in Minneapolis, Chicago, and New York City. Tim went on to build syndicated radio news and content services that served every one of America's 100 largest radio markets. He became CWBChicago's managing partner in 2019. His email address is tim@cwbchicago.com