16-year-old who killed Jai’mani Amir Rivera has a pending robbery case, official says

Jai’mani Amir Rivera (GoFundMe)

CHICAGO — The 16-year-old boy who opened fire on a West Side street Tuesday, killing 7-year-old Jai’mani Amir Rivera, had two active arrest warrants for failing to appear in court at the time of the shooting, officials said Friday. Chicago Police Chief of Detectives Antoinette Ursetti said the pending matters were robbery-related.

“We can’t give you a confirmed motive for why this happened,” Ursetti said during a Friday evening press conference. “This is the senselessness that we’re talking about.”

Cook County court records identify the accused teen as Raysean Comer.

Ursetti said surveillance video showed the gunman walking to the 2300 block of West Jackson and opening fire with a rifle around 3:02 p.m. Jai’mani, who was leaving his home about 300 feet away, was shot in the chest and died. He was not the intended target, Ursetti said. Investigators found 13 rifle casings at the scene.

Detectives collected public and private video footage to track the gunman’s movements before and after the shooting. Near West (12th) District officers recognized him from previous incidents, leading to his arrest. An anonymous tipster also identified the 16-year-old as the shooter, according to CPD.

Police have yet to recover the murder weapon, said Ursetti, adding that police did find another firearm, which was stolen, while arresting the boy.

More information about the boy and the allegations will be known after he appears for a detention hearing on Saturday. He is charged with two counts of first-degree murder.

He is the 14th person accused of shooting, killing, or trying to shoot or kill someone in Chicago this year while on pretrial release. The cases involve 26 victims, four of whom died.

A GoFundMe campaign for Jai’mani’s family has raised $28,681 of its $50,000 goal as of Friday evening.

Almost three years ago, a person signed the name Raysean Comer on a memorial page for Frank Looney, a 16-year-old who had been murdered on the West Side: “i remember when my dad rayray brung his scooter mopad out west you kelp tryna take our turn it was funny nd forever lasting”

The “not horrible” series

This report continues our coverage of individuals accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill or shoot others on pretrial release for a felony allegation. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “We haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.

On September 18, 2023, the state of Illinois eliminated cash bail entirely. Our “not horrible” continues.

The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people awaiting trial for felony allegations is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has brought charges in less than 5% of non-fatal shootings and 33% of murders, according to the city’s data.

Previous reporting

2024 “not horrible” cases

2023 “not horrible” cases

2022 “not horrible” cases

2021 “not horrible” cases

2020 “not horrible” cases

2019 “not horrible” cases

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About Tim Hecke 374 Articles
Tim Hecke is CWBChicago's managing partner. He started his career at KMOX, the legendary news radio station in St. Louis. From there, he moved on to work at stations in Minneapolis, Chicago, and New York City. Tim went on to build syndicated radio news and content services that served every one of America's 100 largest radio markets. He became CWBChicago's managing partner in 2019. His email address is tim@cwbchicago.com