Gunman shot paleta man during $3 ice cream dispute, officials say

Paul Redd, inset, is accused of shooting an ice cream vendor during a pricing dispute. (Chicago Police Department, CItizen)

CHICAGO — A dispute over the price of a $3 ice cream ended with a paleta man shot and a SWAT team response by the Chicago Police Department, officials said. Charges have been filed. 

“One of the suspects asked me how much the ice cream was and I told him it was three dollars,” 67-year-old Jose Luis told ABC7. Moments later, Luis realized he had a less expensive option, and he tried to offer it to the men.

He said one of the men displayed a gun and shot him in the 10800 block of South Ewing around 7:37 p.m. last Wednesday.

“I realized he didn’t want to buy any ice cream,” Luis revealed. “What he wanted to do is rob me.”

Witnesses helped police locate the alleged gunman, 29-year-old Paul Redd, nearby. When the officers spotted Redd, he was standing inside the glass back door of a home, taking off his clothes, according to a CPD report. Standing in his boxer shorts, he spoke with the cops but refused to come outside.

The officers summoned a SWAT team. They resolved the situation about an hour later.

During a detention hearing, prosecutors said Redd was the man who pulled out a gun. He first pointed it at Jose Luis’ co-worker and then turned to Jose Luis and shot him in the leg, according to a detention petition.

Officials did not accuse Redd of trying to rob Jose Luis.

Judge Deidre Dyer granted the detention petition. She said part of the incident was caught on video, adding to the strength of the state’s allegations against Redd.

He is charged with aggravated battery by discharging a firearm and aggravated assault with a firearm.

Jose Luis told ABC7 that he had been a paleta man every summer for the past 27 years.

“Something I feel very proud of because it’s an honest living.”

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6874 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com