Man gets 21 years for shooting Logan Square carjacking victim (while on pretrial release for 3 felonies)

Travon Duffie (IDOC, Multiplottr)

CHICAGO — A man has been sentenced to 21 years in prison for shooting another man during a 2021 carjacking in Logan Square. Travon Duffie, now 21 years old, was awaiting trial for three felony cases in juvenile court at the time of the crime.

The situation could have been much worse for the 57-year-old victim, who suffered a graze wound to his hand: His iPhone deflected a second round that Duffie allegedly fired at his stomach, prosecutors said.

Around 6:15 a.m. on February 24, 2021, Duffie ran up as the victim got into his car with a cup of coffee at Amoco, 2338 North Sacramento. Duffie allegedly had a handgun and demanded the man’s keys.

But the victim resisted, and Duffie shot him in the left hand, officials said. He then allegedly fired a second round at the man’s abdomen, but the iPhone blocked its path. Surveillance video captured the entire incident.

Duffie returned to the car he arrived in, a freshly carjacked Scion, and sped away, according to prosecutors. A few minutes later, Duffie crashed into another vehicle outside Humboldt Park. Police found him nearby with a handgun in his waistband.

He pleaded guilty last week to aggravated battery by discharging a firearm before Judge Angela Munari-Petrone. Prosecutors dropped 16 other felonies, including attempted murder, carjacking, and gun violations. He received a consecutive four-year sentence for possessing contraband in a penal institution, a charge he picked up while awaiting trial in the Logan Square case.

According to Illinois Department of Corrections records, Duffie is expected to be paroled on December 10, 2040.

All three of his pending juvenile cases were for aggravated battery.

Duffie was the seventh person accused of killing, shooting, or trying to shoot or kill someone in Chicago in 2021 while on pretrial release. That number has since ballooned to 79 defendants involving 115 victims.

About CWBChicago 6874 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com