New: Alderman wants unaccompanied kids out of downtown by 8 p.m.

Ald. Brian Hopkins (Facebook)

CHICAGO — The alderman whose ward includes nearly all of Streeterville wants to expand the city’s curfew law to ban unaccompanied minors from being in the downtown area after 8 p.m.

Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd) revealed his proposal in an email Wednesday after a couple was viciously attacked by a group of teenagers last Friday. The neighborhood has recently experienced other problems with large groups of young people too.

“I do not believe every minor present during these recent gatherings have ill intentions, but it is painfully clear that a few agitators and ring leaders have instigated violent and chaotic actions time and time again and this activity cannot be tolerated,” Hopkins wrote.

A 14-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl were charged with misdemeanor battery after Friday’s attack, which unfolded near the corner of McClurg and Grand around 9:17 p.m.

Hopkins says misdemeanor charges are “entirely inappropriate.” He wants the teens slapped with felonies.

“I have personally requested that the Cook County States’ Attorney Office upgrade the current misdemeanor charges to felony charges given the severity of the assailants’ actions,” Hopkins said in his email. “The investigation is ongoing and may result in additional charges to some of the other offenders who participated in the crime but were not immediately arrested on scene.”

To prevent future problems, Hopkins said he has “begun working on” an 8 p.m. curfew for unaccompanied minors in the Central Business District (CPD). The CBD’s boundaries are, in general, from Division Street to Roosevelt Road and from Halsted Street to the lake. An area west of LaSalle and north of Chicago Avenue is not included.

“The earlier curfew seeks to apply to any minor, regardless of activity, from being in the Central Business District without the supervision of an adult,” Hopkins stated. “If enacted by the full city council, this curfew will allow the Chicago Police Department to apprehend and cite those who are in violation.”

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6796 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com