‘This defendant actually defines dangerousness’: Man charged with abducting, sexually assaulting women in Logan Square

Luis Diaz (Chicago Police Department, Multiplottr)

CHICAGO — In late April, Chicago police issued a warning after a man dragged a woman into a Logan Square alley and threatened to kill her. Now, prosecutors say that man is in custody and that he’s responsible for sexually assaulting two other women since last May.

“This defendant actually defines dangerousness. He seems to prey upon the vulnerable,” Judge William Fahy said as he detained Luis Diaz, 28, as a public safety threat.

Chicago police released their alert on April 26, hours after a man attacked a 42-year-old woman in the 2300 block of North Rockwell. She was walking to work around 5:50 a.m. when the assailant, allegedly Diaz, grabbed her from behind, placing one hand over her mouth and wrapping his other arm around her waist.

He carried her into a nearby alley, pushed her to the ground, and kicked her, threatening to kill her if she didn’t stay quiet, prosecutors said. Keeping one hand in his pocket as if he had a gun, Diaz ordered the woman to move further into the alley near some trash cans, according to prosecutors.

When the woman refused, Diaz picked her up by her jacket and pushed her against a wall, prosecutors said.

The sound of the attack woke up a witness who lives in a basement apartment next to the alley. He yelled at Diaz, then went outside and walked the woman to her nearby job. She called 911 after talking with her coworkers.

Prosecutors said a police officer who reviewed an internal bulletin about the attack recognized Diaz, leading to his arrest. The man who intervened in the attack, as well as a second witness, allegedly picked him out of photo line-ups.

During Diaz’s detention hearing, Assistant State’s Attorney Collin Debrabander linked him to two sexual assaults of women that occurred last year. 

This story is made possible by contributions to the Cook County Courtroom Transparency Fund.

On July 1, Diaz was driving around with a 22-year-old woman he met on Snapchat when she told him she wanted to go home, Debrabander explained. Instead of taking her home, Diaz drove into an alley in the 3400 block of West Diversey and grabbed her, demanding that she perform a sex act in exchange for riding in his car, said Debrabander.

The woman tried to get out of his car, but Diaz pulled her back in, choked her, and forced her to perform the act, according to Debrabander. Diaz then pushed the woman into the back seat, took off her clothes, and sexually assaulted her, Debrabander said. She called her mother to report the attack moments after Diaz dropped her off at a nearby restaurant.

DNA testing linked Diaz to the crime. Diaz’s DNA was also found on another woman who said he sexually assaulted her in May 2023, according to Debrabander.

That woman also knew Diaz and went for a ride in his car. He leaned over and started removing her clothing as he drove, ultimately raping her, said Debrabander. Criminal charges have not been filed in the case, but Debrabander did not explain why.

Assistant Public Defender Michael Roman said Diaz has two children and pours concrete for a living.

Diaz is charged with kidnapping by force, three counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault causing bodily harm, unlawful restraint, and aggravated battery.

About Tim Hecke 324 Articles
Tim Hecke is CWBChicago's managing partner. He started his career at KMOX, the legendary news radio station in St. Louis. From there, he moved on to work at stations in Minneapolis, Chicago, and New York City. Tim went on to build syndicated radio news and content services that served every one of America's 100 largest radio markets. He became CWBChicago's managing partner in 2019. His email address is tim@cwbchicago.com