After another shooting and stabbing at 31st Street Beach, alderman calls on the city to take action. Again.

Ald. Lamont Robinson (@LamontJRobinson)

CHICAGO — After seemingly declaring success in the battle against ongoing violence at 31st Street Beach last week, a Chicago alderman is once again calling on the city to shut down the facility at 9 p.m. nightly after a concealed carry holder shot a girl who stabbed her at the beach on Saturday.

“This is the 4th shooting within a matter of 3 weeks. Enough is enough,” Ald. Lamont Robinson (4th) said in a statement yesterday.

The vice chair of the Chicago City Council’s Police and Fire Committee called on the park district to “immediately act to enforce a temporary 9 p.m. closure for the safety of all beach goers and the surrounding community until safety protocols are fully in place.”

Robinson made a similar statement after a 23-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman were shot to death at the beach complex on June 21. Police said that the male victim had been exchanging gunfire with “multiple individuals” at the scene, and they took some men into custody.

“Bag Checks And Traffic Crackdowns At Bronzeville Beach Led To Safer Weekend, Alderman Says” was the headline of a Block Club Chicago story published last Tuesday, four days after Robinson made his initial demand for action.

But any success was short-lived.  And Robinson conceded that the city has yet to implement and enforce the 9 p.m. curfew he demanded.

Late Saturday night, a 17-year-old girl was shot after she stabbed a 26-year-old concealed carry holder in the 3000 block of South Fort Dearborn, adjacent to the beach, officials said. 

According to CPD, the teenager and woman got into an argument that escalated when the girl stabbed the woman in the arm. The woman responded by shooting the girl in the shoulder. By Sunday evening, the police announced that the girl had been charged with aggravated battery.

Robinson issued his new call for action within hours, declaring, “This ongoing and escalating level of violence must be stopped.”

Police are still investigating the shootings of two young people during a “large group” incident at the beach on June 7. A 12-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl were injured, according to Chicago police and witnesses. Again, the police offered few details about what happened.

Shortly after 10 p.m. on June 19, two women sustained gunshot wounds at the beach. A 22-year-old woman was in critical condition with three gunshot wounds to the chest. A 20-year-old was in good condition with a gunshot wound to the thigh. The police did not release any other details about the shooting.

CPD records show another victim was shot in the 3100 block of South Lake Shore Drive at 8:50 p.m. on June 11, but it is not clear if that occurred at the beach complex or on the drive proper.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6874 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com