2 men shot by a concealed carry holder in the Loop are getting sent to prison, too

Sebon Grisby, left, and Dangelo Webb (Chicago Police Department)

CHICAGO — Two men who were shot by a concealed carry holder who thought they were trying to steal his car in the Loop received prison sentences yesterday to go along with their gunshot wounds.

One overnight in December 2022, the concealed carry holder started his 2020 black Dodge Charger with the fob as he walked toward the vehicle outside the Cambria Hotel, 32 West Randolph. But when he got outside, he saw a red Jeep near his vehicle and someone entering his car. Then, someone in the Jeep began shooting at him, and he returned fire, prosecutors said at the time.

The Jeep nearly struck the concealed carry holder as it sped from the scene, and he fired three more rounds. At the same time, the victim saw another man get out of his Dodge Charger, drop a small computer used to steal cars, and then run away, officials said.

Shortly after the gunfire, surveillance cameras at Northwestern Memorial Hospital allegedly recorded Deangelo Webb tossing two items from the red Jeep as he arrived at the hospital emergency entrance. Webb had a gunshot wound to his knee, and the two items he threw were loaded ammunition magazines, prosecutors claimed.

Meanwhile, CPD and CTA surveillance cameras recorded Sebon Grisby “running, limping, and grabbing his rear end” as he fled from the shooting scene, prosecutor Sarah Dale-Schmidt said.

He entered a Red Line station before returning to street level and proceeding to Wabash Avenue, where he ran up to a car and informed two women that he had been shot.

Grisby “lowered his pants and showed the women his rear end, and one of the women recorded this interaction on her cellphone,” Dale-Schmidt said. But Grisby left before the fire department arrived. 

He later arrived at Lurie Children’s Hospital, where staff members transferred him to Northwestern.

On Thursday, Webb, 28, pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm, and Grigbsby, 26, pleaded guilty to burglary, according to court records. Judge James Obbish sentenced both men to four years.

Their sentences will be reduced to two years for good behavior and reduced further by 698 credit days earned while awaiting trial. Both men should be paroled in about a month.

About CWBChicago 7383 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com