More robberies were recorded in Wrigleyville and Boystown during both March and April of this year than in those same months last year. Year-to-date, however, 2014 is well behind 2013’s numbers thanks to unfavorable weather conditions for robbery aficionados during January and February.
• Outside of our focus, but noteworthy: Chicago has recorded more homicides this month than in the entire month of April 2013. This follows March 2014 exceeding March 2013 and February 2014 exceeding February 2013.
The first of the month is close. Anyone care to guess which statistical time frame or anomaly the police department will pick for its monthly “crime is down” press release?
The good folks at HeyJackass maintain a remarkable set of statistics about homicides in Chicago.
What Would Jared Do?
A CBS2 online story about a “bulletproof” Subway restaurant on the South Side reminded us of our “favorite” late night Subway restaurant. It’s at 901 W. Belmont.
It’s not bulletproofed. Employees do, however, remove furniture from the dining room around 9PM nightly. That way, loiterers can’t camp out and the furniture can’t be used as weapons in fights. Slowly but surely, Belmont Avenue’s spring and summer elements are returning:
- Thursday, 12:41AM: Police called for prostitution outside of Subway. 901 W. Belmont.
- Thursday, 10:24PM – Prostitution outside of Subway restaurant. 901 W. Belmont.
- Friday, 1:23AM – Prostitution inside and outside of Subway restaurant. 901 W. Belmont.
- Friday, 11:01PM – Prostitution outside of Subway restaurant. 901 W. Belmont.
- Sunday, 4:06AM – 15 prostitutes in front of Subway restaurant. 901 W. Belmont.