Six people called police to report being robbed in our neighborhood between 8:30 last night and 4:30 this morning. Belmont Avenue, which has racked up a dozen muggings in a month, scored two more in the overnight mayhem.
• A moving van crew was robbed at gunpoint in the 2900 block of Racine around 8:30 Sunday evening. The victims had just completed a job when two men—each carrying small, black semi-automatic handguns—forced them to hand over envelopes of cash that the crew had just earned.
The offenders are both black men with dreadlocks in their early 20’s. One is about 6-feet tall and weighs about 180 pounds. He wore a black tee shirt and black basketball shorts. The other is about 5’10” tall, weighs about 190 pounds, has hair on his chin, and wore a black tee shirt with black basketball shorts. His shorts have a red stripe down the side.
They were last seen driving away from Racine and Wellington in a four-door black Jeep Liberty with a dent on the passenger’s side. CPD case HX324344
• Minutes later, at 8:51PM, police were dispatched to Addison and Sheffield to help a woman who said she had been beaten and robbed by three men and two women. Officers, who were delayed by an overwhelming demand for service in the 19th district, could not find the victim when they arrived. When 911 operators called the victim, she told them that she decided to just go home.
• At 10:34PM, witnesses saw a man and a woman get hit with bottles and robbed near Broadway and Surf. According to 911 callers, a group of young black men carried out the attack and fled northbound on Broadway in a navy blue vehicle with license plates that are registered out of Zion, Illinois.
Corroborating the story of a possible wilding: The crew of Chicago Fire Department Truck 44 passed through the area and notified police dispatch that a large group of up to 30 young men were fighting and damaging cars at the time of the reported attack.
• At 2:53AM, while a score of officers stood guard over a crime scene at 1001 W. Belmont, a man was beaten up and robbed outside about 100 yards away outside of Jamba Juice at 916 W. Belmont. An ambulance crew was called for the victim who could not offer any information about the offenders. CPD case number is HX324678.
• At 3:53AM, a man was robbed in or immediately outside of the Subway restaurant at 901 W. Belmont. Taken was the man’s wallet, which contained $100 cash. The offender is described as male, black, 21- to 25-year-old, thin, wearing a black shirt with orange lettering. CPD case number is HX324700.
• At 4:51AM, officers were called to the emergency room at Illinois Masonic Medical Center where a battery victim reported that she had been robbed of her book bag and had no way to get home. Officers gave her a ride to the train station and assisted with her return to the suburbs. It is not clear where this incident took place or if a report was filed.