|Employees clean up broken glass after a burglary at
their cell phone store on Belmont this week. (CWB Reader)
At 8 o’clock last night, an anonymous 911 caller reported seeing a “youth” trying to climb into an apartment window in the 800 block of Addison. The suspect, sporting a pink back pack, gave up and then joined a group of people waiting to enter The Crib youth shelter at 835 W. Addison, directly across from the 19th district police station.
Officers crossed the street and were approached by two people who saw the man try to crawl through the window. At the same time, the suspect walked away, heading down Fremont Street. Cops in vehicles caught up with the suspect but, in the end, no victim could be located to sign a complaint, so no report was filed.
• When a resident returned to their home in the 3700 block of Greenview yesterday evening, would-be burglars were kicking in the back door. They turned around and ran out when the homeowner entered. Recorded as a criminal damage to property. Case HX434000.
• Not dissimilarly, a man woke up at 4:30 this morning in the 1300 block of Roscoe upon hearing someone break into his back yard. When he went to see what was happening, the offender was at the man’s back door. No report.
• Another cell store fell victim to burglars this week. Unlike last week’s attempt on Broadway, the offenders succeeded in entering the Verizon store at 1022 Belmont early Tuesday morning. After breaking out glass next to the front door, the burglars reportedly helped themselves to the store’s Apple products. Camera were rolling, but a witness reports that the thieves’ faces were covered and they wore gloves.
As it turns out, before boldly crashing through the front window, the offenders tried to break in through the store’s back door. They picked the wrong door and broke into the neighboring Japanese Cultural Center by mistake.
Here are some other confirmed burglaries this week. “Unlawful entry” means the offenders did not use force to enter the dwelling—a door or window may have been left unlocked.
- Monday, 500 block of Oakdale. Unlawful entry.
- Wednesday, 1400 block of Belmont. Forcible entry.
- Today, 3300 block of Clifton. Unlawful entry while the victim slept last night.
- Today, 2900 block of Sheridan. Forcible entry to a business.