|Flowers were placed near the crime scene earlier this week.|
Here are a few details that have emerged in the days since Kevin O’Malley was shot to death during an attempted robbery at 942 W. Oakdale.
Kristopher Pitts, 22, is charged with murder and armed robbery in the case
• At the time of the murder, Pitts was awaiting trial for allegedly threatening a police officer with a machete.
• In court records, police say they found O’Malley’s cell phone in Pitts’ possession, clarifying some reports that the robbery attempt had failed.
• The 19th district CAPS office released information stating that “a witness attempted to gain control of the weapon” before O’Malley was shot. There is no mention of a struggle in court records.
• At least six witnesses have been identified in the case.
• O’Malley, previously of suburban Palos Park, was living in the 1300 block of Fletcher at the time of his death. Media reports that identify O’Malley as a resident of the suburbs appear to be based on information released by the coroner’s office.
• The officer who scaled the outside of the Wellington Brown Line station to find Pitts is a 43-year-old police veteran.
• O’Malley’s death was the first homicide in Lakeview since a May 10, 2012, gang-related shooting at Ashland and Addison, according the authoritative work of W.H. Thompson at Hey Jackass.