|Williams (inset) is charged with multiple felonies for shooting at a driver who was stopped at this signal|
A convicted felon, on parole for a gun offense since January, is accused of throwing up gang signs and shooting at a motorist on Belmont Avenue in North Center last week. A second man is also charged in the case. Both suspects are members of the Insane Deuces’ Hamlin Park faction, police said.
Around 1 a.m on May 9, a 27-year-old driver was stopped for a red light at Belmont and Leavitt when Marquis “Fifty Cent” Williams and Silvano Cervantes began throwing up gang signs in his direction, prosecutors said.
|Cervantes | Chicago Police Dept|
The man heard a single gunshot and investigators later found video that showed Williams pulling a gun from his waistband and firing toward the driver.
Cops stopped Williams and Cervantes as the duo walked by the Area North police headquarters at 2452 West Belmont about 15 minutes after the incident.
Officers found a .22-caliber revolver containing five live rounds and one spent casing inside Williams’ pants pocket, prosecutors say.
Williams, 30, is charged with unlawful use of a weapon while on parole; aggravated unlawful use of a weapon; street gang contact while on parole, and obstructing identification.
Records show he was paroled in January after serving 85% of a 7-year prison term for firing a handgun at an occupied vehicle in the 2600 block of North Hoyne on November 7, 2009.
A judge set his bail at $400,000.
27-year-old Cervantes is charged with reckless conduct.