|Locations of 6 robberies since June 28 on the north end of Lincoln Park|
Now it’s SIX.
Another armed robbery within a small, normally peaceful corner of Lincoln Park last night raises the number of muggings in the lakefront retreat to SIX since June 28.
Incredibly, that’s more robberies than that slice of parkland has seen in any full year since at least 2000.
But the police department hasn’t said anything to the public about the problem.
Around 7:45 Wednesday evening, four young teenagers pulled out a handgun and robbed the latest victim near the Alexander Hamilton statue in the 2700 block of North Cannon Drive. All four then climbed into a silver Honda Accord and fled southbound.
The offenders are described only as three white teenage boys and one white teenage girl.
Here are the dates and times of the other five hold-ups and details of each incident:
• 12:36 a.m. on June 28 in the 2400 block of North Lakeview. The victim was robbed at gunpoint on the sidewalk.
• 10:25 p.m. on July 25 in the 2600 block of North Cannon Drive: Two offenders stopped and tried to rob a man on the street. But the would-be victim fled and called police, leaving the criminals empty-handed.
He described the offenders as either two Hispanic men or one Hispanic and one white man. One wore a red jersey, and the other wore a black jersey. Both were last seen running southbound on Cannon Drive.
|Annual robberies between Lakeview Avenue, Cannon Drive, Diversey, and Fullerton. 2017 figure is as of August 30. | City of Chicago Data Portal|
• 10:30 p.m. on August 1 in the 2400 block of North Lakeview. Three men hopped out of a minivan, pushed a man to the ground, and robbed him outside of the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.
The men implied that they had a gun as they took the man’s valuables and climbed back into their silver Chrysler Town & Country, which was driven by a fourth person. The victim could describe the robbers only as Hispanic men.
• 5:20 a.m. on August 16 in the 2400 block of North Stockton. A local man was robbed as he waited for a 151 Sheridan bus in the 2400 block of North Stockton Drive. He told police that a man in a white Dodge Caravan drove up, pulled out a semi-automatic handgun, and demanded his valuables.
The offender got the victim’s lunch box and an Under Armour-brand gym bag containing two cell phones and a laptop, according to police. The van, which had damage to the front driver’s side door, was last seen heading north on Clark Street.
Police said the offender was a younger black man who stands 5’4” to 5’8” tall. He had braids and wore a black jacket with black pants.
• 6:30 p.m. on August 19 in the 2500 block of North Lakeview. The offender pulled out a knife and robbed the victim on a sidewalk in the 2500 block of North Lakeview. No offender description is available.