Six more robberies have been reported across Lakeview and North Center since Saturday evening, bringing the total number of muggings this weekend to at least eight, police said. No one is in custody.
|Approximate locations of eight robberies reported since Friday evening across our area. | BatchGeo|
Many of the hold-ups are believed to be connected to a single crew that has been working North Center, Roscoe Village, and Lakeview for nearly three weeks.
Most recently, a Lakeview man was pistol-whipped and robbed by three offenders near the Jewel-Osco at Southport and Addison around 3 a.m. today.
The man was on Addison when three men approached him and demanded his valuables. One of the offenders then struck the victim with the butt of a handgun before all three ran away with the man’s wallet. The offenders—described as two Hispanic men and a black man in dark clothing who stand 5’8” to 6-feet tall—were seen getting into an older model silver car, possibly a Ford Taurus.
• Around 1:30 a.m., a woman was robbed at gunpoint in the 1900 block of West Waveland, police said. The woman reported that two men with bandanas on their faces displayed a silver handgun and took her purse, wallet, and phone before running westbound on Addison. The offenders were described as two Hispanic men who stand about 5’9” tall and were wearing dark clothes.
• Two people were mugged in separate armed robberies in the 1900 block of West Warner around 11:30 p.m. Saturday. One victim was struck in the head. Once again, three offenders wearing dark clothing covered their faces and robbed the victims while armed with two handguns. The offenders took a pizza, a phone, and other valuables from the victims. The three were said to be Hispanic men.
• Three men robbed another man around 11 p.m. Saturday in the 2900 block of North Seminary. Once again, two handguns were pointed at the victim by male offenders who covered their faces with masks or rags. The three fled westbound in the south alley of George Street in a silver car that may be an older Ford Taurus.
• Finally, in a case that is not believed to be related to the other five, a victim was jumped and robbed Saturday evening near the 19th District police station. The victim told police that they were in the 900 block of West Addison around 8:20 p.m. when two teenage offenders attacked him and took an Apple iPhone. The victim said the robbers were a 5’7”-tall, 17-year-old black male in a black sweatshirt and a 13-15-year-old black female in a white tee shirt.
Two people were robbed Friday evening in Lakeview and North Center. Both cases are believed to be related to the 3-man team that has been striking across the area in recent weeks.
• Around 10:45 p.m. Friday, two men pulled out a handgun and approached the Lakeview man as he exited an Uber in the 1600 block of West Barry, police said. The offenders took the man’s phone and cash before fleeing westbound on Barry.
The robbers were two black men in their 20’s, the victim said. One of them was on a bike.
• At 10:47 p.m. Friday, a woman reported that two men in hoodies tried to rob her at gunpoint in the 1900 block of West Cornelia. She told police that she escaped after noticing that the gun had an orange safety tip, possibly indicating that it was not a real firearm.
She described the offenders as two white or Hispanic men in their late teens or early 20’s. Both wore dark jackets and had average builds. They were last seen running northbound on Wolcott.