Does Chicago Take Gun Cases Seriously? You Decide.

Police said they found this gun on twice-convicted felon Martise Lewis’ floorboard in November. His bail? $20,000.

A twice-convicted felon was pulled over in Uptown on November 19 after police said he ran several stop signs and evaded their attempts to stop him. Martise Lewis, 29, crashed his car, jumped out and ran away, police said. Officers soon located him and took him into custody.

Cops say they found Lewis in possession of cocaine, $2,317 cash, a ski mask, and—on the driver’s side floorboard of his car—a 40-caliber handgun with 22 rounds of ammunition.

Lewis has previous convictions for robbery of a person over the age of 60 and for being a felon in possession of a weapon. He has been on probation for DUI since June.

In court on the latest incident, Lewis was charged with being a felon in possession of a weapon-second time; aggravated unlawful use of a weapon; possession of a controlled substance; leaving the scene of an accident; and attempting to flee police.

Judge David Navarro set bail at $20,000, meaning that Lewis could get out of jail by posting $2,000.



Late on December 2, police said they saw a white Trailblazer run a red light near Western and Division. When they pulled it over, Galo DeJesus bailed out of the passenger side door and took off running while “holding a bulge on his waistband,” police said.

DeJesus dumped the bulge—allegedly a 9-millimeter handgun with fifteen rounds loaded into its magazine—into a garbage can and continued to run away, officers reported. He was eventually caught and charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of ammunition without a valid firearm owner ID card (FOID). Police said in court papers that he’s a member of the YLO Cobras street gang.

Judge David Navarro established a $3,000 deposit bond for DeJesus, meaning he would be released if he posted 10% or $300.



On November 18, Amtrak police alerted Chicago authorities to a man who was believed to be in Chicago to commit robberies during a short stay. Cops began searching the area around Union Station and soon came upon 18-year-old Khalil Lites of Wisconsin, who matched the Amtrak officers’ description of the suspect.

Police say they searched Lites’ backpack and found a 10-millimeter handgun that was later found to have been stolen from a gun store in Madison, Wisconsin, according to court records.

Lites was arrested, charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and being a fugitive from justice due to a weapons violation in Wisconsin.

Judge David Navarro set bail at $10,000, which would allow him to go free by posting a $1,000 deposit if Wisconsin waives its warrant.



Police rushed to Waveland Bowl, 3700 North Western, around 2:15 a.m. on November 28 after someone reported a disturbance and a man with a gun inside. At some point, prosecutors alleged, 21-year-old Travis Washington took out a 9-millimeter handgun, threw it under one of the bowling alley’s pool tables, and charged after some customers.

At the police station, Washington told cops that he carried the gun “in case they jump me,” authorities said.

Asked if he had a FOID card, Washington allegedly replied, “What is that? I don’t have one and I don’t need one.”

The next day, Washington was released on a recognizance bond without appearing before a judge—a process known as having bond set “by rule of the court.”

On December 22, Cook County Judge Marvin Luckman sentenced Washington to 12 months of court supervision and ordered the handgun to be destroyed.

Court records show that Washington was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a weapon with a defaced serial number last Febraury. The outcome of that court case was not immediately available.



Around 5 p.m. on December 17, officers working in the Old Town neighborhood received a tip that someone wanted for questioning by investigators working a suburban homicide was in the 1300 block of Hudson.

At the scene, officers noticed a car with two people sitting in the back seat—one of whom matched the description of the man wanted by suburban cops.

When police opened the vehicle’s front door, one of the men in the back seat “made a sudden movement toward the front passenger side.” That allowed officers to see distinctive tattoos on the man’s arms that positively identified him as the person wanted for an interview.

The man was detained and police say they found a loaded handgun with an extended magazine under the car’s passenger seat near where he was sitting.

Cobe Underwood, 18, of the West Garfield Park neighborhood was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in a vehicle by someone under age 21; possession of marijuana; and possession of cocaine.

Underwood was released on electronic monitoring with a $10,000 I-Bond set by Judge John Lyke. That means he went on electronic monitoring and he could face a $10,000 penalty if he skips court.

He has not been charged in connection with the suburban case.



On January 5, Kelly Hoard of Anderson, Indiana, was arrested at Chicago’s downtown federal building after she allegedly tried to enter a passport office with a handgun in her purse, court records show.

Charged with unlawful use of a weapon and possessing a firearm without a valid FOID card, Hoard was released on a $1,500 deposit bond by rule of the court. That means she walked out of jail by putting down $150.



Chicago police said they tried to stop a car in the West Ridge neighborhood for a traffic violation on New Year’s Eve. But the driver would not stop. Then, the passenger reached out of the car and dropped a loaded 9-millimeter handgun into the street as the car’s driver continued to try to evade police.

The car was eventually stopped in the 2200 block of West Morse and the passenger, 27-year-old Erick Cervantes, was detained. Cops say Cervantes told them that a passenger in the rear seat handed him the gun, which he tossed out of the car.

Police later learned that the gun had been reported stolen.

Cervantes was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in a vehicle and possession of a stolen firearm.

Judge John Lyke released him on a $10,000 I-Bond, meaning that Cervantes walked free and could be held responsible for a $10,000 penalty if he no-shows for court.

Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4275 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is