Second Man Charged With Stealing Wallet From Unconscious Fall Victim At Loyola Red Line Station


A second man is now charged with stealing the wallet of an unconscious, dying man at the Loyola Red Line station, 1200 West Loyola, on January 13.

Derrick Robie, who has racked up a series of arrests in Boystown over the past year, was arrested at his home in Dolton to face the new charges. We shouldn’t be surprised that 20-year-old Robie might be accused of doing something like this. He was previously charged with stealing a homeless man’s change cup outside of a Halsted Street gay bar.

Early on January 13, long-time North Side bartender Eric “Julian” Hall fell down the stairs at the Loyola station. No one saw him fall, police said, and he continued to lie at the bottom of the staircase. At some point, Robie and previously-arrested 60-year-old Calvin Greyer approached Hall’s body and stole his wallet which contained cash and credit cards, according to prosecutors. Hall would later die from his injuries.

Judge Mary Marubio set bail for Robie at $10,000 with electronic monitoring. As it turns out, he was already on electronic monitoring when she issued her order.

Two days after allegedly stealing Hall’s wallet, Robie was arrested in Boystown because police recognized him as being wanted for a January 8th armed robbery at the Morse Red Line station. Robie was released on electronic monitoring and he was wearing his monitoring bracelet when officers later arrived at his home to arrest him in the Hall case, police said.

In June, a 22-year-old college student from Florida told police that Robie shoved the victim into a wall near Halsted and Belmont, pressed a knife to his stomach, and said, “Gimme the phone, you know what this is.”

Cops said they recovered a knife from Robie that the victim identified as the weapon used in the hold-up, but the man refused to press robbery charges because he lives so far away. Robie was convicted of sale or possession of a weapon.

One week after the Florida man accused him of robbery, Robie was arrested in Boystown and charged with theft for allegedly knocking a 60-year-old beggar’s change cup from his hand and stealing money at Halsted and Roscoe. Charges were dropped when the homeless man failed to show up in court.

Robie was arrested in Boystown last December after cops caught him with a knife during a street stop.

Alleged Accomplice


Calvin Greyer, the first man to be charged in the Hall case, was arrested in Boystown on January 29 after two officers recognized him from CTA surveillance video of the theft.

Greyer was charged with felony theft from a person and felony possession of a controlled substance. The latter charge stems from officers’ discovery of 28 Tramadol pills in his backpack, prosecutors said.

Judge Mary Marubio ordered Greyer held in lieu of a $10,000 deposit bond at his original court appearance and said he must go onto electronic monitoring if he makes bail. Following Robie’s arrest, Judge Marvin Luckman cut Greyer’s bail to $5,000 while maintaining the electronic monitoring requirement.

Greyer and Robie are due back in court on Friday.

Original reporting seen nowhere else. Please support our work by contributing to CWBChicago’s operating fund. Donate $5 a month to receive a year’s worth of exclusive reports and services.

Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4275 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is