Probation For Dentist Who Secretly Filmed Boys In North Avenue Beach Bathroom

Stump (inset) was charged with filming n the men’s room at North Avenue Beach. | Chris Smith on Flickr

A suburban man who secretly video-recorded a 16-year-old boy in the North Avenue Beach men’s room last summer has been sentenced to sex offender probation.

Gregory Stump, 68, pleaded guilty to a single count of felony unauthorized videotaping of a person under the age of 18 last Thursday. Twenty-one other counts, including three child pornography charges, were dropped in the plea deal that was approved by Judge Thomas Gainer Jr.

Last July, a Chicago police sergeant arrested Stump after catching him in the act of secretly recording a teenager in the lakefront bathroom, prosecutors said.

Stump was masturbating while holding his phone over the top of a bathroom divider to record the teenager who was changing clothes in the next stall, the sergeant said.

Stump surrendered his dental license in September. | Google

Investigators said they found video of the teen with his buttocks exposed and a photograph—also taken in the North Avenue Beach bathroom—of a young boy’s penis on Stump’s phone. Pictures of other men using the facility’s urinals were also collected, police said.

In 2014, Stump pleaded guilty to public indecency after he was caught performing sex on another man in a Forest Preserve parking lot near Elk Grove Village. He was sentenced to probation, which he successfully completed, according to court records.

At the time of his latest arrest, Stump listed a home address in the Gold Coast, about two blocks from North Avenue Beach. His dental practice was in northwest suburban Schaumburg.

State records show that Stump surrendered his dental license last September rather than face disciplinary action in connection with the beach incident.

Also in September, the 16-year-old victim and his mother sued Stump for invasion of privacy, seeking more than $50,000 in damages. The case is scheduled for a status hearing on Thursday.

———-
Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4274 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com