UPDATE Tuesday March 21: Police today said that charges have been filed against the two juveniles in connection with a string of robberies on the North Side.
A 15-year-old boy is charged with on felony count of robbery and unlawful possession of three or more credit cards, police said. A 16-year-old boy is charged with felony theft from person and unlawful possession of a credit card.
No further information is available because the teens are shielded by state law. Our original report follows.
Detectives are questioning two juveniles in connection with a series of robberies reported across the North Side since Saturday afternoon.
Rogers Park District officers took the suspects into custody today after they allegedly robbed their sixteenth victim. Thirteen of the robberies took place between midnight and 6 a.m. today, police said.
View Weekend Robbery Spree in a full screen map
In the series of robberies, two or three offenders approached people on the street, battered the victims, and occasionally displayed a gun or knife while demanding valuables, police said in a community alert this morning.
The first hold-up took place in Portage Park around 3:10 p.m. on Saturday. Sunday evening, one robbery was reported in Edgewater around 7:15 p.m. and another in North Park around 11:40 p.m.
After that, the crew went on a spree of thirteen robberies across the North Side that didn’t end until two of them were arrested around 6:30 this morning in the 1700 block of West Juneway Terrace.
Shortly after 6 a.m., three teenage boys ran up on a man and robbed him of a computer and backpack in the intersection of Juneway Terrace and Clark Street. Patrol officers later tracked down two of the suspects nearby.
Officers also recovered a black Nissan that the crew used during its overnight robbery blitz. The car had been reported stolen in Edgewater on Friday. The vehicle was found in the 7600 block of North Rogers Avenue with evidence from the robberies inside.
Anyone with information about the cases or suspects is asked to call Area North detectives at (312) 744-8263.
Dates and times of robberies connected to the teens, according to police:
• 4600 block of W. Warwickon, Saturday at 3:10 pm
• 5900 block of N. Magnolia, Sunday at 7:13 pm
• 3300 block of W. Balmoral, Sunday at 11:40 pm
• 6300 block of N. Winthrop, Monday at 12:55 am
• 7200 block of N. Ridge, Monday at 1:47 am
• 4500 block of N. Christiana, Monday at 3:00 am
• 4400 block of N. Kostner,Monday at 3:57 am
• 3600 block of W. Wilson, Monday at 4:30 am
• 4000 block of N. Albany, Monday at 4:36 am
• 4800 block of N. Kimball, Monday at 4:00 am
• 4900 block of N. Kimball, Monday at 4:52 am
• 3100 block of W. Wilson, Monday at 4:55 am
• 3500 block of W. Argyle, Monday at 5:15 am
• 3400 block of W. Montrose, Monday at 5:19 am
• 3400 block of W. Montrose, Monday at 5:30 am
• 1800 W. Juneway Terrace, Monday at 6:04 am