A favorite Lakeview brunch spot has become the latest North Side business to be targeted by after-hours burglars who’ve been the subject of two warnings from Chicago police.
Kanela Breakfast Club, 3231 North Clark, was struck sometime between 6 p.m. on Thursday and 6 a.m. Friday, police said. Forced entry was made through the front door, according to police.
The burglar pried open the restaurant’s ATM and took its contents along with a DVR.
More than a dozen businesses in the 19th (Town Hall) District have fallen victim to overnight burglars since January, according to two alerts issued by Chicago police.
On April 4, a store employee interrupted the burglary of a housekeeping service in the 2900 block of North Sheffield at 5:20 a.m. The burglar broke the shop’s front door glass and made entry, but he fled after being confronted by a manager.
The Sheffield burglar was described as a 5’10” tall black male in a long black dress coat. He was last seen westbound on Wellington from Sheffield.
In a March 29 alert, police listed twelve burglaries in a pattern attributed to a male burglar of unknown race who carries a backpack and has been seen leaving the crime scenes on a bicycle. Locations and dates of those burglaries are:
• 2700 block of North Clybourn, between January 21 – January 22
• 1800 block of West Wilson, on January 27 around 6:30am
• 1400 block of West Irving Park, between February 6 – February 7
• 2300 block of West Montrose, between Feb 10 and Feb 11
• 4300 block of North Broadway, between Feb 24 and Feb 25
• 4500 block of North Western, on March 6 between 7:00am-7:20am
• 1700 block of West Fullerton, between March 14 and March 15
• 1800 block of West Diversey on March 15 between 1:45am-2:15am
• 900 block of West Buena on March 15 between 3:00am-6:00am
• 600 block of West Cornelia between March 19 and March 20
• 1700 block of West Diversey on March 26 between 7:30pm-8:54pm
• 2600 block of West Addison on March 26 around 10:48pm
Then, on April 2, another alert was issued in which five break-ins were said to have been committed by an offender who enters through side or rear doors. No description of the second burglar was offered. Locations and dates of incidents related to the second suspect were:
• 2400 block of North Lincoln at 4 a.m. on March 12
• 600 block of West Belmont on March 19 or 20
• 4400 block of North Clark at 7:45 a.m. on March 20
• 2900 block of North Broadway at 2:45 a.m. on March 26
• 900 block of West Montrose at 12:15 a.m on March 26.
Restaurants, salons, and cellular stores have been common targets in both burglary patterns.
Exclusive, original reporting for Lakeview. We can only do it with your support. Subscribe for just $49 a year or $5 a month to receive members-only reports and services. Or, name your own amount. The choice is yours. Thanks so much!