|Approximate locations of burglary cases included in today’s alert. | BatchGeo|
Cops are warning residents of Lakeview East and nearby Lincoln Park about a series of home and apartment break-ins that appear to be connected.
Since April 11, at least nine homes and apartments have been burglarized in a relatively small area of the city. The offenders have been forcing open rear doors or windows to gain entry. In some cases, the burglar has crawled through open windows, police said.
Most of the break-ins have happened during daytime hours while the victims were at work, according to a community alert issued Wednesday afternoon. No description of the offender was offered.
The pattern involves burglaries in the following locations and time windows:
• 2700 block of North Wilton on April 11 at approximately 6:00 p.m.
• 2900 block of North Seminary on April 11 between 7:45 a.m. and 7:45 p.m.
• 800 block of West Wrightwood on April 17 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
• 800 block of West Oakdale on April 18 between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
• 800 block of West Altgeld on April 18 between 8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
• 500 block of West Deming on April 20 at approximately 11:45 a.m.
• 2700 block of North Mildred on April 23 between 8:15 a.m. and 5:15 p.m.
• 400 block of West Diversey between April 28 and April 29
• 800 block of West Wolfram on April 30 between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
Detectives suggested that residents pay attention to any suspicious people loitering in the area; that surveillance systems be installed and properly maintained; and that all windows and doors be kept locked.
While the alert does not say so, patterns such as this one are often the work of a single offender who has previously been convicted of burglary. Recently-paroled burglars are often considered prime suspects in cases such as this.
Anyone with information about the burglaries is asked to call Area North investigators at (312) 744-8263.
Back CWB’s original reporting to receive members-only analysis and services year-round. Subscriptions start at $49 a year or $5 a month. You can also one-time donate an amount of your choosing. Click here — and THANK YOU!