Briefs: Details Of Red Line Attacker’s Suburban Arrest; Parolee Charged With Battering Man In Boystown

New information today about Derrick McMath, the man who’s accused of sucker-punching a senior citizen on the Red Line last week, causing her to lose vision in her left eye.

Police in suburban Chicago Ridge today provided their report about an April case in which McMath was accused of repeatedly punching a man in the face.

Around 6:30 p.m. on April 5, Chicago Ridge cops responded to Our Lady of the Ridge church to handle a battery complaint. Witnesses told them that McMath had walked up to several people and blew air in their faces “attempting to start a fight,” according to the report.

When McMath blew on the victim’s face, the victim blew air back, prompting McMath to unleash a series of punches to the man’s head and face, the report said. A witness reportedly captured part of the attack on video.

Cops found McMath nearby with blood flowing from his left knuckles, police said.

He was charged with battery. On April 20, Judge John Mahoney sentenced McMath to 30 days in jail with credit for two days time served. The incident reportedly happened at Our Lady of the Ridge’s overnight shelter.

Back Again

Carter | IDOC

A man who’s on parole for a violent attack against security officers at the 2016 Maifest in Lincoln Square was arrested in Boystown on Monday morning after he allegedly attacked a man on the street.

Byron Carter, 20, is accused of repeatedly punching a Pontiac, IL, man in the chest and head in the 3400 block of North Halsted around 6:30 a.m., according to court records. Carter was charged with battery and released on a recognizance bond by Judge Joanne Rosado.

Carter was paroled in November after serving half of a three-year sentence he received for a wild attack on security and police officers at the Maifest street festival on June 3, 2016.

Police said security asked Carter to leave the festival after he allegedly threatened another man in the 4600 block of North Western. When security tried to place him into custody, Carter allegedly punched a man, bit a security guard on the arm, and then used a “large rock” to hit another guard on the back of the head.

Carter wound up being charged with 23 felony counts including 21 counts of felony aggravated battery to a police officer in the case.

He pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated battery to a police officer and received a three-year sentence. The other 22 counts were dropped.

Support CWB’s original reporting to receive members-only analysis and services year-round. Subscriptions start at $49 a year or $5 a month. You can also one-time donate an amount of your choosing. Click here — and THANK YOU!

Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4274 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is