A judge handed down an eight-year sentence to a man who beat another man for nearly 20 minutes in a Near North parking garage last summer. And, a gang member who brandished a handgun as crowds were dispersing from last year’s Pride Parade has been given a four-year sentence. Here are the details.
|Williams (inset) was convicted of beating a man in the parking garage above Dave & Busters. | CPD; Google|
Aaron Williams, 35, of south suburban Crete has been found guilty of five counts of aggravated battery in a bench trial conducted by Cook County Judge Timothy Chambers. Chambers sentenced Williams to a total of eight years with 353 days credit for time served. Williams’ parole date is set for June 8, 2021.
On June 13, 2017, a 59-year-old Lincoln Park man sustained a 20-minute-long beating at the hands of Williams in a parking garage, police said. Williams reportedly confronted the victim and tried to take away his computer bag in the parking garage above Dave & Busters, 1030 North Clark Street around 6 p.m. that night, police said.
Williams then knocked the man to the ground and “viciously and brutally beat and kicked the victim about the face and head with fists and feet for approximately 20 minutes,” according to prosecutors.
Surveillance video captured images of Williams going through the victim’s pants pockets and taking the man’s laptop—which Williams then used to further beat the man, prosecutors said.
Cops reported that while they were speaking with firemen, Williams—wearing a “blood-soaked white tee shirt and blue denim jeans”—approached them and blurted out, “I beat him with my fists.” The admission was captured on police body and in-car cameras, the officers said.
The victim was hospitalized with severe head trauma and internal bleeding.
Williams was previously convicted of aggravated battery in 2013 and burglary in 2005. He received sentences of two-years and five-years respectively.
|Cruz (inset) was arrested in the 3100 block of North Broadway after last year’s Pride Parade. | CPD; File|
Phillip Cruz, 25, of northwest suburban Elgin has pleaded guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in a plea deal stemming from an incident following last year’s Pride Parade. Seven other weapons-related felonies were dropped in the agreement. Cruz has been sentenced to four years in prison with 320 days credit for time served. His parole date is set for July 3, 2019.
Around 5:30 p.m. on June 25, 2017, Cruz brandished a firearm while asking another man for his gang affiliation as crowds left Boystown following the annual parade, police said.
Cruz ran when officers tried to conduct a field interview, but he was quickly captured in the 3100 block of North Broadway, police said, adding that a weapon was recovered from the scene.
Court records show that Cruz was sentenced to prison for possessing a stolen motor vehicle in 2012.
Most news outlets stop covering crimes after charges are filed. Only CWB follows cases to the end and reports back to you. Please support our work: Subscriptions start at $49 a year or $5 a month. You can also one-time donate an amount of your choosing.