Prosecutors: Rogers Park woman forced boys to ingest melatonin at sleepover

EDITORS’ NOTE: Some details of this story have been removed at 9:12PM on August 31, 2020. The accused individual succeeded in having the case expunged from his/her Cook County Criminal Court record. While not required by law to remove truthful reports, CWBChicago editors do extend this courtesy to individuals who go through the legal process to get a fresh start on their record. The remainder of the original post appears below.

A Rogers Park woman forced three boys who attended a sleepover at her home to take melatonin so they would calm down and go to sleep, according to allegations laid out in court records.

The woman hosted the two-night sleepover on the weekend of July 7th through July 9th. Two 10-year-old boys and a 12-year-old boy are listed as the victims.

Police said in a report that late on the first night “each of the victims were [sic] grabbed by the arm, taken to the kitchen, grabbed by the jaw, and forced to open their mouths to take the melatonin pills.” Late on the second night, each boy was again told to take the pills, prosecutors allege.

Illinois’ Department of Children and Family Services launched an investigation into the incident and the woman was arrested on August 9th at Chicago’s Area North Police Headquarters.

Prosecutors charged her with five misdemeanor counts of causing a child to be endangered and three misdemeanor counts of battery. She was released on a recognizance bond.

Police listed the accused woman’s occupation as “teacher” on her arrest report. A spokesperson for the school district did not respond emails from CWBChicago as of Monday evening.

Melatonin “is a natural hormone that plays a role in sleep,” according to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health website, which says “there have been no reports of significant side effects of melatonin in children.”

Please support our efforts to uncover original news in Chicago. Subscribe or contribute an amount of your choosing today. Thank you!

———-
Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4360 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets.