At long last, an adult has been charged with felonies for his alleged involvement in a mob beating on the Chicago-State Red Line platform on Dec. 29th.
Michael Sardin, 18, from the Grand Crossing neighborhood is charged with felony aggravated battery causing great bodily harm and felony mob action, police said. Sardin was booked into Cook County Jail on Monday, indicating that he has been in custody since last weekend.
Sardin turned himself in to Area Central Detectives after he learned that he was wanted in connection with the violent attack near the Magnificent Mile, police said. Judge Sophia Atcherseon set his bail at $5,000. That means Sardin can go free by posting a $500 deposit.
According to Chicago police, CTA surveillance cameras recorded Sardin “taking part in an unprovoked, multiple-offender attack of two victims.”
Sardin was seen kicking and punching two victims along with eight to ten other offenders, police said in a press release on Tuesday evening.
“One of the two victims sustained great bodily harm, suffering bone fractures, abrasions, and lacerations,” police said. The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the man’s eye socket was broken.
At least three juveniles have also been charged with mob action and aggravated battery in connection with the Dec. 29th attack, part of which was captured on video.
Since then, the landmark Water Tower Place shopping mall has instituted curfews for under-17 patrons on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Despite that move, a group of two adults and two juveniles was arrested and charged with beating and robbing a man behind the mall on Sunday evening.
Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.