|Some of Darreece Euring’s many mugshots. | CPD|
A Washington Park man who is on probation for repeatedly stealing from cab drivers in the Loop and on the Magnificent Mile is now accused with… stealing from even more cab drivers in the Loop!
CWBChicago has told you about 22-year-old Dareece Euring Jr. several times over the past couple of years.
Late last year, Euring was sentenced to pay $100 restitution, a $359 fine, and to serve 131 days in jail in exchange for pleading guilty to “burglary without damage” in connection with the theft from a cabbie near State and Adams.
Police now say Euring is facing new charges including two felony counts of theft of leased property; felony unlawful use of an ID card; and felony fraudulent use of a credit or debit card in connection with thefts from cab drivers at 30 East Wacker Drive and at 200 West Wacker Drive in January. Police said Euring stole the first cabbie’s wallet, credit cards, and identifications. The second cab driver allegedly lost cash to Euring.
Court records show Euring has been arrested again and again for allegedly ripping of cabbies:
• Nov. 5, 2017 — Accused of distracting a Near North taxi driver and stealing $125 from the cab’s center console. The cabbie failed to appear in court and charges were dropped.
• Nov. 30, 2017 — Cops in the Loop were flagged down by a taxi driver who identified Euring as the man who failed to pay for a cab ride and then stole a bundle of cash from the taxi’s front seat. Cops said Euring was carrying $27 in one dollar bills at the time of his arrest. Judge Anthony Calabrese sentenced Euring to eight days time served while awaiting trial.
• Dec. 16, 2017 — Euring was arrested in the Loop after he refused to pay for a short cab ride. He was not accused of stealing any money from the driver this time. Prosecutors dropped the case.
• Mar. 12, 2018 — A cabbie flagged down cops on the Mag Mile and reported he picked up Euring and a woman at Water Tower Place. After traveling one block, Euring allegedly said: “forget it, I’ll grab an Uber.” While the woman distracted the driver, Euring allegedly grabbed the cabbie’s phone from the front seat and fled.
While police were talking with that driver, another cabbie pulled up and said that the two people in his back seat had just tried to steal his phone from the center console. Guess who the two people in the back seat were? Yep! Euring and the woman.
Police said they removed Euring from the second cab as he “clenched his fists, grit his teeth and advanced toward second cabbie saying ‘You want to fight? I will kick your ass.’”
• April 1, 2018 — According to prosecutors, Euring was in the Loop stealing from a taxi driver on this Easter morning. Police say a taxi driver flagged them down in the 200 block of North Wells around 11 a.m. and reported that his passenger had begun kicking the back of his seat, saying he had lost his phone in the cab. When the cabbie pulled over to help the passenger look for his phone, the man reached into the taxi’s center console, removed $43, and walked away without paying his fare, the driver said. Cops caught up with Euring whose alleged “verbal admission” was captured on police body cameras, according to court records.
• Just before noon on May 18th, 2018, cops on patrol saw a taxi driver chasing Euring in the 300 block of South Michigan. The officers caught Euring, and the cabbie explained that Euring had just stolen $59 from the driver’s side door of his taxi in the first block of West Adams, police said. Cops allegedly found the cash in the 21-year-old’s pants pocket.
When officers ran Euring’s name through a database, they reportedly discovered a warrant out for his arrest in connection with another theft from a cabbie on May 8th. That time, Euring stole a cab driver’s phone at State and Madison, according to prosecutors.
Euring is currently being held without bail.