|Spectators line up on the 3100 block of Broadway before the 2018 Chicago Pride Parade. | Provided|
Six years ago, we published our editors’ recommendations for enjoying the Chicago Pride Parade weekend safely. Unfortunately, everything we wrote back then applies equally to this year’s 50th annual celebration. Avoid Belmont. Leave at a relatively early hour. Trust your gut.
At All Times
|Nobody wants to be that guy.|
• Stay with the herd. Walk with at least one other person. Find yourself alone? Tag along with other groups. Muggers, scammers, and other ne’er-do-wells function just like the cheetahs on Animal Planet. Don’t be the slowest gazelle.
• Carry as little cash as possible. If you can function while only carrying your ID and one credit card, do it. Leave everything else behind.
• Avoid using your phone on the street.
• Do not get drunk. Okay, fine, we’ll meet you halfway. Do not drink to the point that your level of intoxication is apparent in the way you act. Swervy, stumbly people may as well scream “take my stuff!”
• Do not engage strangers on the street. Keep walking. Do not stop to give someone a cigarette, a light, or a dollar.
• Bail if things start to get sketchy.
• Leave the area by midnight. If you use Uber or Lyft, be sure to verify that the car you get into and its driver match the information on your app.
• If you take the train, use the Addison L station. Do not use the Belmont station.
• Avoid walking through large groups that are blocking the sidewalk. Go around.
• Belmont Avenue is a “no go zone” between midnight and 6:00 a.m. Stay away from it, no matter how many people are with you.
• Enjoy the parade. Leave the area by 8:30pm. Again, if you use Uber or Lyft, be sure to verify that the car you get into and its driver match the information on your app.
• On Sunday, Belmont Avenue is a “no go zone” after 8:30pm. Stay far away from it, no matter how many people are with you.
• If you take the Red Line, use the Addison L station. Do not use the Belmont station. If you’re on the Brown Line, exit at Wellington or Southport instead of Belmont.