|Approximate locations of Monday’s robberies. | Multiplottr|
Three women were robbed in less than 10 minutes yesterday evening near the Magnificent Mile and Streeterville, according to police reports. Monday’s spree is similar to a wave of robberies that unfolded on Friday afternoon.
• A woman walked up to a patrol officer outside the Drake Hotel around 7:40 p.m. yesterday and reported that she had been struck in the face and robbed of her phone. The woman said a black male teenager got out of a Ford Fusion and attacked her near Oak Street and Lake Shore Drive. The teen, who stands about 5’7” tall and weighs 120-130 pounds, then returned to the vehicle and fled.
• At 7:42 p.m., two women were robbed within steps of each other nearby. One woman was in the 800 block of North Lake Shore Drive and the other was in the 200 block of East Chestnut when they were robbed by two men who escaped in a gray Ford Focus or Ford Fusion that bears an Illinois license plate beginning with 971. The vehicle, police said, is stolen.
On Friday evening, a similar series of crimes were reported in Streeterville and Old Town:
• A 12-year-old boy was jumped and robbed by a man who took his phone in the 1600 block of North Sedgwick around 4:30 p.m., police said. The offender, described as a black male in his teens who stands 6’3” tall, was wearing a black t-shirt. He fled eastbound on Eugenie after robbing the boy.
• Police said a 29-year-old woman was battered and robbed by two men who took her property in the 1700 block of North Wells around 6:40 p.m. One of the offenders was a 6’3”-tall black male in his teens who was wearing a black t-shirt. The other robber was a black male who stands about 5’8” tall. He wore a blue t-shirt, the woman said.
The third robbery Friday was reported in Streeterville:
• A 55-year-old woman was walking in the 800 block of North Lake Shore Drive when two men battered her and took her property. The men then jumped into a nearby vehicle—possibly a gray Hyundai Sonata—that was occupied by four other people and fled south on LSD. Police said the two offenders were black males. One wore a white hoodie with black clothing. The other wore a black hoodie with black clothing.