Weapons charges filed against parolee who murdered 2 gay men in Lakeview in 1987

Patrick Tullis | CPD

Felony weapons charges have been filed against Patrick Tullis, a parolee who was convicted of murdering two gay men in Lakeview over three weeks in April 1987.

Tullis, 58, was arrested near his Uptown home at 1 a.m. Tuesday after neighbors reported shots fired and a man with a gun in the 4700 block of North Beacon. CWBChicago first reported on Tullis’ latest arrest later that morning.

Prosecutors said that police approached Tullis for questioning, but he hid his right hand and ran into his apartment building. Officers caught up with him and found a loaded handgun in his back pants pocket, according to charges. Two shell casings were found in front of his apartment complex.

Police said Tullis waived his right to remain silent and told them, “I got a little toy from a friend. I was celebrating the [Fourth of July] and began firing it into the air, but I didn’t shoot at anybody. I was just shooting it in the air.”

Tullis is charged with one count of Class X felony armed habitual criminal; being a felon in possession of a weapon; reckless discharge of a firearm; and two counts of resisting police. He is being held without bail.

In April 1989, Tullis was sentenced to 45 years in prison for murder and a consecutive fifteen years for voluntary manslaughter after he pled guilty to killing two gay men in 1987. He was released in July 2017 after serving half of the 60-year term.

Tullis, who lived in the 3000 block of North Sheffield at the time of the murders, tied 25-year-old John Tolbert’s hands and feet, then strangled him to death with a telephone cord on April 5th, 1987, according to a contemporaneous report by the Chicago Tribune. Tolbert’s body was found in a dumpster on the same block where Tullis lived.

Then, on April 29th, Tullis stabbed 43-year-old Raymondo Hernandez twenty-one times and dumped his body under the Brown Line tracks at Ashland.

Tullis told prosecutors that he killed the men because they asked him to have sex.

The victims were killed about two months after Tullis was released early from prison after serving 2-1/2 years of a four-year sentence for aggravated battery. The Tribune reported in 1989 that Tullis had been ordered to serve three extra months in prison during that sentence because he stabbed another inmate who made sexual proposals.

Tullis is due back in court on Tuesday.

Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4275 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com