Man on parole for 2 robberies tried to break into apartment, police say (But 911 caller refused to cooperate with cops)

Dwayne Smith | Chicago Police Dept

Update March 30, 2021 — Judge Aleksandra Gillespie sentenced Smith to two years for resisting police. Prosecutors agreed to reduce the charge from aggravated battery of a police officer in a plea deal with Smith, according to court records. 

An Uptown woman who called 911 when a parolee reportedly tried to break into an apartment refused to cooperate with police who came to her aid, spoiling any chance of burglary charges being filed.

The caller said she saw a man with a tattoo on his face kicking in a door and breaking glass. But she later refused to cooperate with police who responded to her call.

Police said they arrived to find 27-year-old parolee Dwayne Smith standing on the rear third-floor balcony of a home in the 4400 block of North Greenview at 3:45 a.m. on July 19th. Smith refused to comply with repeated commands to come down, according to police.

Instead, cops say he jumped from the balcony to the roof of a neighboring home that was 20 feet below. From there, he jumped into the yard of yet another home and ran through a gangway. He charged head-first into an officer who was waiting for him at the end of the passageway, police said, causing the officer to fall to the ground and injure his right knee.

Once police had Smith in custody, they tried to speak with the woman who called for help. But she refused to even meet with them. A 911 operator said she called the woman four times to ask her to talk with police, but the woman refused each time. A female officer then went to the woman’s back door alone, hoping to get some information and help in pursuing charges. The woman refused.

Smith was paroled in January after serving half of two concurrent ten-year prison sentences that he received for a pair of aggravated robberies in Kane and DuPage counties during 2014.

Prosecutors charged him with felony aggravated battery of a police officer, misdemeanor reckless conduct, and misdemeanor resisting police in connection with the Uptown incident. Judge Susana Ortiz set his bail at $30,000.

The injured officer was treated for a laceration and bruising of his right knee. Smith was also treated for minor injuries that he received by jumping from the third floor.

Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4274 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is