VIDEO: Montrose Harbor boat burglars discover that they’ve been caught on camera… And their reactions are priceless

Ingrid Angulo and Lavell Malone (inset) are accused of burglarizing a boat at Montrose Harbor. | CPD; Provided

A man and woman who are charged with burglarizing a boat at Montrose Harbor late Tuesday night probably won’t find this video nearly as funny as we did.

One of the boat’s owners called police around 11:40 p.m. after she saw the burglary unfolding via webcam. And the burglars were about to make a discovery of their own. One of them found the camera more than a minute after the alleged break-in began. What unfolded next is pure gold.

After the man spends more than a minute pulling on a compartment, he has an idea: “Do you pick locks?”

“I mean, I have learned a little while ago,” the woman says as she takes a look at the still-secured compartment.

Then, the couple’s delightful nautical evening takes a titanically bad turn.

“OOOOH,” she says, staring directly at the lens. “There’s a camera!”

“Where?” he asks, reaching for the device. “That’s not a camera. That IS a camera!… Night vision?”

“Throw it in the water!”

“We’re already on the boat! We’re already caught on the camera.”

“So what should we do? Just…”

Police arrived before the star-crossed stowaways took anything, according to a source.

Ingrid Angulo, 24, of Belmont Cragin and 23-year-old Lavell Malone of Uptown were taken into custody after the boat’s 39-year-old co-owner identified them, police said.  Officers saw the couple hiding on the boat, a CPD spokesperson said.

Angulo and Malone are each charged with felony burglary and misdemeanor criminal trespass to land. Angulo has been released on her own recognizance. Malone went free by posting a $500 deposit bond.

Later on Wednesday morning, another boat owner reported that his vessel had been broken into at Montrose Harbor. No one has been charged with that crime.

Malone, who has an anchor tattoo on his right arm, was charged with robbery in 2016, according to court records. He eventually pleaded guilty to theft and received a two-year sentence. His parole ended last December. Police records show that he was charged with battery in Humboldt Park this April. On July 18th, he was arrested in Rogers Park and charged with aggravated assault of a transit employee and resisting police. The outcomes of those cases were not immediately available.

Email      Facebook       Twitter       YouTube
About CWBChicago 4274 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is