A burglar is taking advantage of Lincoln Park residents who leave their apartments unlocked during the day. Police are recommending that citizens use the locks that landlords have conveniently placed on their front doors and windows.
The thief burglarized at least five apartments in the neighborhood between Oct. 21 and Nov. 1, police said in a community alert late Wednesday. He entered each apartment through an unlocked door or window.
Detectives said the pattern involves burglaries in:
- the 1700 block of North Clark between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Oct. 21
- the 1900 block of North Lincoln Park West on Oct. 24 at 1:30 p.m.
- the 1900 block of North Lincoln Park West on Oct. 24 between 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- the 2200 block of North Kenmore between 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Oct. 30
- the 800 block of West Armitage between 9 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. on Nov. 1
The intruder is a black male between 20- and 25-years-old; 6-feet tall, and 180 pounds, according to the alert.
Police said residents should keep their doors and windows secured. They also encouraged people to report suspicious behavior and to immediately repair any broken doors, locks, or windows.
Anyone with information about the burglaries can contact Area Central detectives at 312-747-8380 about pattern #P19-1-370.