Cops make three separate robbery arrests in Wrigleyville, Boystown

Chicago police have recently arrested three people in connection with separate robberies around the Wrigleyville and Boystown neighborhoods. Two of the alleged offenders were arrested months after the reported robberies took place. Here are the details:

Center on Halsted robbery

Gary Myles | CPD

Police arrested 21-year-old Gary Myles on the 3600 block of North Halsted around 6 p.m. Saturday after he was recognized as the person who allegedly robbed a man inside the Center on Halsted shortly before Thanksgiving.

Prosecutors said Myles battered and robbed a 19-year-old man of his wallet inside the LGBTQ service center at 3656 North Halsted around 8:30 p.m. on Nov. 24. The victim later identified Myles in a photo array, police said, and officers arrested Myles when they saw him back in Boystown last weekend.

Judge Mary Marubio set bail at $3,000 and ordered Myles to go onto electronic monitoring if he can post a $300 deposit bond.

September robbery resolved

Joseph Anderson | CPD

Another alleged Lakeview robber wound up in police custody last week after he returned to the area of his alleged crime.

Police arrested 23-year-old Joseph Anderson of Homewood on the 3500 block of North Clark around 12:30 a.m. on New Year’s Day after he was recognized as the person who allegedly robbed a man on the same block last summer.

Prosecutors say Anderson battered and robbed a man of a shopping bag that contained two baseball hats outside of Old Crow Smokehouse, 3506 North Clark, at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 1.

The victim later identified Anderson in a photo line-up, police said.

Judge David Navarro set bail for Anderson at $6,000 and ordered him to go onto electronic monitoring if he can post the required $600 deposit bond.

Wrigleyville Sports robbery

Roderick Barnes | CPD

Workers at Wrigleyville Sports, 959 West Addison, say they told 45-year-old Roderick Barnes to get out of their store on the afternoon of Dec. 28 because he had been banned for shoplifting.

Prosecutors say Barnes responded by raising his coat to expose a bulge in his waistband and yelling, “I don’t give a f*ck! I have two loaded Glocks ready!”

Three store employees fled into a back room as Barnes collected merchandise and fled to the nearby Addison Red Line station, police said.

Officers who monitor the 19th District’s surveillance camera system spotted Barnes on the train platform and they were watching when he discarded stolen merchandise as police moved in, according to a CPD report.

Cops took Barnes into custody, earning him his 43rd arrest in the city since December 2014.

Prosecutors charged him with three counts of aggravated robbery. Judge David Navarro then released him on a recognizance bond.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a monthly or annual subscription. Members-only perks await!

About CWBChicago 6766 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is