Boys — ages 12 and 13 — charged with armed robbery on Red Line

Chicago police arrest a robbery suspect at the North-Clybourn Red Line station on April 13, 2020. | CPD

Police arrested three people in connection with the armed robbery of a CTA passenger on the Clark-Division Red Line platform Monday evening. Charges have been filed against two of the offenders, who are only 12- and 13-years-old.

Officers responded to the North Side station after the victim sought help from a CTA employee around 7:08 p.m. The man, age 53, told police he was on the station platform when three males battered him, displayed a knife, and stole his wallet.

The offenders then boarded a northbound train.

Police took all three into custody minutes later at the North-Clybourn station, a CPD spokesperson said. One of the offenders was carrying a pair of scissors, according to police.

Prosecutors charged the 12- and 13-year-old boys with felony armed robbery with a dangerous weapon. A 19-year-old man is charged with misdemeanor battery in the case, police said.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6565 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com