Motorized scooters are a convenient way to get around town. They’re small, energy-efficient, and easy to park on congested city streets.
They’re also very easy to pick up and steal.
So easy, in fact, Chicago police are warning about a series of scooter thefts from Streeterville to Lincoln Park. Thieves have stolen at least six motorized scooters from street parking spaces since Saturday, according to the community alert from Area Three detectives.
The scooters were legally parked and unattended when they were swiped. Police said known cases were reported in:
- the 600 block of North McClurg on Saturday evening, July 18
- the 1200 block of North LaSalle on Sunday afternoon, July 19
- the 900 block of North Orleans on Monday afternoon, July 20
- the 1600 block of North Orchard on Monday afternoon, July 20
- the 1500 block of North Wieland on Tuesday morning, July 21
- the 500 block of North Lake Shore Drive on Tuesday afternoon, July 21
Police did not explain how the scooters have been stolen. No descriptions of the offenders were released.
Anyone with information about the crimes can call Area Three detectives at 312-744-8263 regarding crime pattern P20-3-144.
Back CWB’s reporting team and we’ll reward you with members-only reports and services all year long. Join HERE for just $49 a year.