Duo robbed man as he walked thru Grant Park, prosecutors say

Jabbar Thomas (left) and Romero Thomas | CPD

Two offenders robbed a man as he walked home from work in Grant Park on Thursday evening, prosecutors said Friday. 

The 25-year-old victim was walking in the 100 block of East Balbo around 7:45 p.m. when Romero Thomas and Jabbar Thomas stepped in front of him and blocked his path, according to prosecutors. Romero Thomas allegedly put his hand in his own pocket and told the victim, “you’re not going to make it very far.”

Prosecutors did not indicate if the Thomases are related.

According to the allegations, both men asked the victim for money until Jabbar Thomas suggested another option: “Let’s just take his phone from him.”

The victim handed over his phone, and the robbers fled southbound on Michigan Avenue. He then stopped a passerby and asked them to call 911.

Cops found the Thomases nearby wearing clothes similar to those worn by the robbers. The victim identified them as the robbers, and Jabbar Thomas had the man’s phone, prosecutors said.

The two are charged with aggravated robbery. Judge Charles Beach ordered them held in lieu of $50,000 bail each. They will be placed on electronic monitoring if they post 10% deposit bonds to get out of jail, Beach said.

Will you help us recover the costs of operating CWBChicago? You can make a contribution or purchase a subscription HERE.

About CWBChicago 6769 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com