Felon had two guns as he crashed stolen car into CPD unit near Mag Mile, prosecutors say

Steven Gray (inset) and the intersection of Michigan and Walton | CPD; Google

A convicted felon is charged with carrying two guns as he plowed into a parked Chicago police patrol car along the Magnificent Mile on Sunday afternoon. Police found a third firearm in the area, too, but no one is charged with having it.

CPD officers have seized at least 22 guns on or near the Michigan Avenue shopping district during December, CWBChicago reported Sunday night.

Cops who were working to clear a traffic jam from the middle of Michigan and Walton asked the driver of a black Infiniti to roll down his window around 3:30 p.m. Sunday, prosecutors said.

Instead, 27-year-old Steven Gray put the car into drive and plowed into the officers’ parked squad car, according to Assistant State’s Attorney Jocelyn Schieve.

Gray then drove into other parked cars until the Infiniti became disabled, she said. At that point, he got out of the car, threw a tan-colored handgun on the ground, and ran, according to Schieve.

Cops chased Gray down and took him into custody.

In addition to the gun Gray allegedly threw, officers found a 10-millimeter handgun on the Infiniti’s driver’s side floorboard near where Gray was sitting, Schieve said. He was the only person in the car, she added.

According to Schieve, the Infiniti had been reported stolen in Kenosha, Wisconsin, but investigators had not been able to contact its owner.

Gray’s private attorney, Jayne Ingles, said the Infiniti is not registered to him and “had been driven by someone he was waiting outside for.”

Prosecutors charged Gray with two counts of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon. Judge John Lyke ordered him held in lieu of $75,000 bail. Gray will need to go onto electronic monitoring if he can post the mandatory $7,500 deposit bond, Lyke said.

Back CWB’s reporting team and we’ll reward you with members-only reports and services all year long. Join HERE for just $49 a year.

About CWBChicago 6697 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com