Man busted with stolen gun while on $5k bond for attempted murder, prosecutors say

Alphonso Walton | CPD

It doesn’t get much more Chicago than this.

A felon charged with attempted murder for allegedly shooting a man while working as a security guard earlier this year posted just $5,000 to get out of jail — and cops caught him with another gun Wednesday, according to prosecutors.

Alphonso Walton, 40, was guarding a West Side liquor store when he shot a 28-year-old man six times during a fight on February 12, according to the state’s allegations. Cops arrested him at the scene, and prosecutors charged him with attempted murder, aggravated battery by discharging a firearm, and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.

Doctors had to remove the victim’s kidney and spleen, prosecutor said.

Walton was ordered held without bail during his first appearance in bond court on February 14. The next month, Judge Edward Maloney allowed Walton to go home by paying a $5,000 deposit bond, according to prosecutors.

Wednesday, police pulled Walton over for a traffic violation in the 7700 block of South Cottage Grove. They found a loaded handgun with an extended ammunition magazine under the floor mat, prosecutors said Thursday.

Walton admitted that the gun was his and told police it can produce automatic fire, an assistant state’s attorney said. Police said the gun was reported stolen in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

Prosecutors on Thursday charged Walton with a fresh count of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon. Judge Charles Beach ordered him held without bail for violating the terms of bond in the attempted murder case. If Walton becomes eligible to post bail on the new charge, Beach said he’ll need to put down $10,000 and go on electronic monitoring.

Walton received a 10-year sentence for a 2003 robbery in Kalamazoo County, Michigan, prosecutors said.

Back CWB’s reporting team and we’ll reward you with members-only reports and services all year long. Join HERE for just $49 a year.

About CWBChicago 6761 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com