An 18-year-old resident of the Lawrence Hall youth home in Lincoln Square is accused of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old resident of the home twice last month in a park near the state-operated facility, 4833 North Francisco.
Prosecutors said Richard Carter suggested to the younger boy that they run away from the home on November 28 and again on 29. On both days, the teens went to River Park, where Carter pulled down the boy’s pants and sexually assaulted him near a bridge, according to Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy.
The alleged victim reported the incidents to a staff member upon returning to Lawrence Hall after the November 29 incident, saying “he didn’t want to do it,” according to Murphy.
The boy was taken to a hospital for treatment. On December 17, the alleged victim made “positive disclosures” during an interview with police, according to Murphy.
Carter, who reportedly went missing after leaving the home November 29, subsequently returned and was arrested at Lawrence Hall on December 29.
He admitted to police that he went to the park with the 13-year-old twice over the weekend of November 28 and admitted to having sex with the boy one time, Murphy said.
Tests of DNA samples collected from Carter and the victim are pending.
Prosecutors charged Carter with felony criminal sexual assault. Judge David Navarro set bail at $10,000 and ordered him to have no contact with anyone under the age of 18. The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services will be responsible for finding appropriate housing for Carter, should he be able to post a $1,000 deposit bond.
Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.