Berned! Man gets 12 years for carjacking committed days after completing parole for another carjacking

In January 2018, just two weeks after Salvador Reitinger completed an 8-year sentence for carjacking a driver in the West Loop, he tied a woman up inside her Irving Park garage and drove away with her car, prosecutors alleged.

Now, Reitinger has pleaded guilty to the crime in exchange for a 12-year sentence. He’s scheduled to be released early in 2024.

Around 8 p.m. January 6, 2018, a 49-year-old woman was in her garage in the 4100 block of North Central Park when Reitinger walked in, put a handgun to her face, and collected her money, debit card, and keys, police said.

He tied the woman’s hands and feet with electrical cords and a phone charger, then drove away in her 2013 Ford Focus with an aging “Bernie” bumper sticker on the back, according to cops.

Salvador Reitinger was located thanks to pings from the victim’s stolen cellphone and her aging Bernie Sanders campaign sticker. | CPD

Unbeknownst to Reitinger, the victim’s cellphone was in the car, emitting pings as he allegedly drove to a nearby McDonald’s and continued to Logan Square.

Cops followed the phone pings and found a 2013 Ford Focus with a Bernie Sanders sticker parked in the 2700 block of North Sawyer. Reitinger, then 26-years-old, was in the driver’s seat eating his McDonald’s, they said.

He ran and ditched a loaded handgun along the way, prosecutors alleged. But cops caught up with him.

A grand jury returned 16 felony counts against Reitinger. Last month, he pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated vehicular hijacking with a firearm in exchange for a 12-year sentence. The other 15 charges were dropped.

He received 999 days credit for time spent in jail before sentencing and the state will lop off half of his 12-year term for good behavior. Illinois Department of Corrections records show he is scheduled to be released on January 10, 2024.

Judge Michael Hood handled the case.

According to court records, Reitinger was sentenced to eight years behind bars for carjacking a victim in the West Loop on January 11, 2010. He completed parole in the 2010 case two weeks before his latest hijacking.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6566 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com