Boystown robber drove more than a block with victim clinging to his car, prosecutors say

Prosecutors say a victim clung to the outside of a robber’s moving car for over a block before he was thrown to the pavement as the driver made a turn in Boystown last October. Charges have just been filed in the case.

According to the allegations, the victim arranged to buy an iPhone 11 from Antoine Gibson for $300 via the OfferUp app. The men allegedly met near the corner of Halsted and Aldine streets around 10 a.m. on October 30 to complete the deal.

Antoine Gibson is accused of driving for more than a block with an alleged robbery victim clinging to his car. | CPD; Google

According to prosecutors, the transaction stalled when the victim was unable to confirm that the device’s IMEI number was not listed on an internet database of stolen phones. Eventually, the victim allegedly handed $300 to Gibson, who remained seated in his car, and Gibson gave him an iPhone box in return.

But, prosecutors say, the box was empty, and the victim reached into the vehicle to grab his $300 back. That’s when Gibson, age 23, allegedly began driving eastbound on Aldine with the victim hanging out of his driver’s window.

A CPD surveillance camera captured footage of a man hanging out of a car as it sped across Halsted Street, according to a CPD report. And a flurry of 911 callers reported seeing a man dangling from a car while its driver tried to shake him from the vehicle.

According to the allegations, the victim held onto the car all the way to Broadway, where Gibson made a right-hand turn that sent the victim flying onto the street in front of a Stan’s Donuts.

Police traced the car to Gibson via its license plate number, which a witness provided, prosecutors said. Screenshots of the OfferUp transaction track back to Gibson, as do a phone number and email address that he allegedly used to contact the victim, according to the state.

A fugitive apprehension team arrested Gibson on Friday. Prosecutors charged him with one count of robbery.

Gibson’s defense attorney says he works and has no criminal history.

Judge Susana Ortiz released him on his own recognizance.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6861 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com