Chicago gangbanger sought for kidnapping, rape, and robbery of suburban Uber driver

Police in Chicago and the southwest suburbs are trying to track down a convicted felon who’s suspected of kidnapping, robbing, and raping an Uber driver on Monday.

The suspect was charged with murdering a 16-year-old boy in Chicago in 2014 but pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for a ten-year sentence that was reduced by 50% and then largely off-set by time served while awaiting trial, according to court records. CWBChicago is not naming the man because he has not been charged with this week’s attack.

According to a bulletin sent to law enforcement agencies by Summit Police, the 25-year-old man ordered an Uber to pick him up from a Mexican restaurant in suburban Darien on Monday.

He got into the driver’s car and then held her at gunpoint and ordered her to drive to Summit, where he raped her inside the vehicle, according to the alert. He then forced her to drive to Stickney, where he raped her again, the bulletin says.

After the second sexual assault, the man reportedly forced the woman to drive into the city, where he robbed her of cash and got out near the 2400 block of South Albany in Little Village.

The “be on the lookout” message from Summit authorities says the man has been “positively identified” as the attacker, and there is probable cause to arrest him for the crimes.

Less than two years after he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, Chicago police arrested the man again in 2019 while he was still on parole.

According to that arrest report, the man pulled a firearm out of his waistband and threw it as he ran from cops who tried to arrest him for a parole violation near the 2400 block of South Albany.

Cops caught him, then backtracked and found a loaded handgun in the gangway next to where he was arrested, police said. A grand jury later approved eight felony gun charges. The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Chicago subsequently charged Anania with a federal gun violation. That case is pending, according to court records.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6696 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com