An 18-year-old man was shot inside a Streeterville hotel Tuesday evening, police said. The victim and witnesses were reportedly uncooperative with investigators.
Police initially received a call of people arguing in the hotel at 166 East Superior around 10:45 p.m. Moments later, another 911 caller said someone was shot at the hotel, which was recently renamed Hotel Audrey. It previously operated as the Cambria Hotel.
Officers found a shell casing near the elevators on the 22nd floor. Police said the victim was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in fair condition with a gunshot wound to his abdomen.
Police recovered a handgun during a traffic stop near Fairbanks and Huron shortly after the shooting, but it was not immediately clear if there is a link between the two incidents.
Area Three detectives are investigating the shooting.
Hotel gatherings have been an on-going source of shootings and gun-related incidents around the downtown area since room rates nose-dived with the arrival of COVID. Among the more recent cases:
- Police arrested a man who allegedly fired shots near Wabash and Lake streets on March 19. That incident was reportedly linked to a party at the nearby Virgin Hotel.
- Police arrested six men and seized six guns when a traffic stop led them to a party in the Eurostars Magnificent Mile hotel, 660 North State, on March 7.
- On February 28, a man was charged with a gun violation after he fired a weapon into the air to break up a fight outside the LondonHouse.
- A man was shot with a rifle inside a room at the Hampton Inn River North, 33 West Illinois, on January 30.
- A shoot-out at the Swissotel, 323 East Wacker, left a man injured on November 7.