Prosecutors: Man robbed 2 customers as same Uptown bank this week

Kendricks Holiday | CPD

Prosecutors on Thursday charged a man with robbing two customers at the same Uptown bank branch this week — one on Monday and another on Tuesday. No injuries were reported.

Judge David Navarro ordered Kendricks Holiday, 39, held without bail.

Both of the alleged victims were targeted as they walked out of a Chase Bank that’s across the street from the Aragon Ballroom at 1101 West Lawrence, prosecutor Brian Burkhardt said.

In the first case, a man used an ATM in the bank’s vestibule to withdraw $40 and then began to leave when Holiday walked in the door around 4:45 p.m. Monday, Burkhardt said. According to the allegations, holiday dropped some things on the ground, brandished a knife, and demanded the man’s money. The man handed over $60. Holiday picked up his things and left.

Meanwhile, the alleged victim pulled out his phone and took pictures that clearly showed Holiday’s face and a knife he was carrying, Burkhardt said.

Holiday allegedly approached another customer as they walked out of the bank around 10:20 a.m. Tuesday. Once again, Holiday displayed a knife and demanded money from the victim, Burkhardt said.

But this victim took a different approach from the first one: They slammed the door on Holiday and went back inside to get help from a bank employee, according to Burkhardt.

Both incidents were recorded on the bank’s surveillance system.

Police arrested Holiday in the area after the bank employee pointed him out, Burkhardt said. He was allegedly carrying two knives.

Holiday has been on probation for an aggravated assault case since April 6. He was accused of threatening someone with a metal pipe in that incident, Burkhardt said. Last year, Holiday pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of resisting after prosecutors agreed to reduce the charge from felony aggravated battery of a police officer.

Prosecutors on Thursday charged Holiday with one count each of armed robbery and attempted armed robbery. He’s due back in court on April 22.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6799 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com