Armed carjackers take SUV in the Loop on Sunday evening, police say

An armed man battered and carjacked a 32-year-old driver in the Loop on Sunday evening as hijacking reports continue to increase in the city.

Several offenders approached the driver as he got out of his Volkswagen Atlas on the first block of East 9th Street around 6:29 p.m., police said. One of the hijackers displayed a gun, hit the victim in the neck, and demanded the keys to the car, according to police. The victim, who lives in Rogers Park, complied.

Police said the offenders climbed into the man’s SUV and headed west on 9th Street. A license plate reader detected the stolen car traveling outbound on the Dan Ryan at 51st Street a short time later.

The victim’s neck was bruised, but he declined medical attention, police said. He described the carjackers as three Black male teenagers, one of whom wore a red hoodie.

On Saturday evening, a 47-year-old delivery driver was hit in the head, knocked to the ground, and carjacked in Old Town, according to CPD. Police said the man was making a food delivery in the 1500 block of North Wells around 8:25 p.m. when the offender punched him in the back of the head, knocking him to the ground.

The hijacker jumped into the man’s red 2014 Mazda 3 and drove away southbound. He was later seen turning west on Chicago Avenue from Franklin, police said. The victim suffered minor injuries but declined medical attention.

Last Thursday, Lincoln Park Ald. Michele Smith (43rd), who represents much of Old Town, said in an email newsletter, “carjacking is still a serious issue in our city, but numbers are significantly down since the carjacking task force was enlarged in March.”

In fact, carjackings have increased every month since March, according to the city’s data. There were 83 hijackings citywide that month, 98 in April, and 111 in May. Through June 12, this month was on-pace to record 120 cases.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription. Members-only perks await!

About CWBChicago 6689 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com